Generative Art

This week we learned about generative art in digital media.  Generative art is digital art made by using an online software.  For our assignment, we had to use the software ScribblerToo and Flame to create four images – two from each software.  

Girl with Hair Ribbon 
Rainbow Rubik's Cube 

Comparisons to reference pictures: 


    For the ScribblerToo drawings, we had to use an image for as a reference for one drawing and have a sense of volume for our second drawing.  In my first drawing, I used Roy Lichtenstein’s Girl with Hair Ribbon, 1965 as my reference.  I came across that image when looking for Pop Art images because I like Pop Art and wanted to use a 2-dimensional painting for my drawing reference.  For my image, I didn’t use a big brush size because I wanted it to look very similar to the painting, in addition to adding my own style to it.  Instead of trying to make the colored dots on the girl’s face, eyes, and lips, I just used one solid color to digitally paint it.  Using the image as a reference when drawing it was very helpful, but was somewhat difficult as well.  The tool was a challenge for me to draw with because I had to use my laptop mouse pad instead of a handheld mouse.  I tried to capture as much detail as I could, but the hair and eyes were a challenge for me.  Although it is a simple digital version of this piece, I am overall pleased with how it turned out.

    For my volume drawing, I chose a Rubik’s cube because it was a fun toy from my childhood.  I wanted to see if I could capture each square, but have the black edges that were around them, removed for some negative space in the drawing.  I wanted to see if the squares themselves would form the cub without the edges around it. Although each square isn’t perfect, I am overall pleased with how it came out and the lines the tool create in each square. 

Happy Fireworks

Love Heartbeat 

    For my Flame drawings, I was trying to represent joyful emotions in the software.  In my first drawing, I was trying to represent happiness and excitement.  I tried to make it like a firework display with the yellow and aqua blue colors. When creating it, I realized that if you hold down the mouse in one spot, it will make the flame bigger and have lines coming out of it, kind of like how a firework looks.  I liked how that feature appeared and decided to make a joyful firework display.  I was trying to convey the emotion of happiness when you feel excited about an accomplishment you achieved, whether that is graduating from high school or getting a job you’ve always wanted.  I think using the yellow and aqua blue colors in a firework image helped to convey the emotion of happiness.  I tried to make the composition balanced with the aqua blue fireworks on each corner and the big yellow firework in the center as a focal point in the drawing. Overall, I am pleased with how this image turned out. 

    For my second flame drawing, I was trying to represent the emotion of love.  I experimented with the different brush sizes and noise techniques the software had in different colors.  I found a heartbeat image online that included a shape of a heart in the middle and was trying to reflect that in my drawing using flames.  Creating the heartbeat was challenging and it took me a few tries to get it the way I wanted it to look.  I used a red flame for the heartbeat to represent the emotion of love. I made a pink noise background to go with the theme of love and have the red color stand out.  I also included yellow flame sparks on the corners to indicate sunbeams to represent the happiness and excitement you feel when you’re in love.  Although this drawing was more a challenge for me to create, I am overall pleased with how it came out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video Mashup

DIY Bracelets