The Sunset Collection





This DIY is fun if you want to create a collection of the same pattern/design on different materials.  I named my collection “The Sunset Collection” because the three pieces that I created had a sunset picture on them.  I had a lot of fun working on this DIY project and was very happy with how it turned out. 

To begin the collection, I first went through an old moon calendar that I had and looked at which pictures I wanted to try to paint on my own.  I came across this pink/purple sunset picture, which I thought was breathtaking.  I was set on trying to paint my own design of it and began my first piece. 


The first sunset painting I did was on an old bedroom sign that I had.  It was a long white horizontal wooden sign that said, “Lila’s Room” in pink marker.  I tried to use sandpaper to remove as much as I could and then painted a layer of white on it.  Once I let that dry, I painted my sunset design and transformed my bedroom design.  It now hangs above my calendar and gives my room a summer vibe feel. 


The second painting I did was on a light switch plate for my room.  The original design had the character Peter Rabbit on it for me when I was a baby.  I again used sandpaper to remove as much of the design as I could and then started painting my sunset design.  I love how I transformed an old light switch plate into something new and unique! 


For the third and final painting, I created it on an old mousepad that I had. I had a whole collection of Webkinz toys as a kid (shout out to who remembers those stuffed animals!) and apparently had a Webkinz themed mousepad.  Now, in college, I didn’t want to look at a Webkinz mouse pad!  When I saw how easy it was to take the cover off, I peeled it off and saw that it left a light tan backing to it.  I then put different pattern washi tape around the edges and started to paint my sunset design.  Once it was dry, I put clear packaging tape over it to give it a laminated look and to make sure that the mouse pad was functional.  I tested it out on my mouse computer and it worked!  I was so happy that the mouse pad still worked and was glad that I gave it a new life with my sunset design.  What’s great about this type of collection I created is that you can use the same design on different objects to make it your own custom collection!  I was very pleased with how all the DIY designs turned out! 

What you will need: 
  • Bedroom sign, light switch plate, mousepad, or whatever else you want to use for your collection. 
  • Paint, washi tape, markers, pens, pencils, or whatever else you want to use to create your design
  • Scissors
  • Glue (optional if needed)
  • Sandpaper (optional in needed)
  • Clear packaging tape (optional if needed) 

Step 1: First pick out what pattern or design you want to use as a reference to create your design.  It can be from old magazines, calendars, or online
Step 2: Figure out what materials in your room or house might need a new decoration to them and how you can make a collection out of them
Step 3: Take any original design that it might have on it and use sandpaper or white paint to take it off and cover it
Step 4: Create your design with whatever materials you want to use.  Try to keep it consistent for your collection so its cohesive.
Step 5: Add any other embellishments on it that you want to use and enjoy your new decor collection! 

Hope you found this DIY helpful.  Let me know if you happen to create your DIY collection.  I’d love to see what you create!  As always, happy crafting everyone!  Bye for now! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video Mashup

DIY Bracelets

Generative Art